Thursday, May 28, 2009

two days


Staring at me in my room is one sad, half-packed suitcase. It still hasn't hit me yet that I'm going to be living in Nigeria for the summer. I don't think it's going to hit me until I've been living over there for a couple of weeks. Every once in awhile my body is overwhelmed and consumed by an immense sadness... I'm filled with questions like... what am I doing?? No, honestly... what in the world? I have a loving family, awesome friends, an amazing relationship, and I'm... leaving? Really? Are You sure?

With every tear I remind myself of and cling to God's promises that He'll see me through this trip and do incredible things through Back2Back this summer. I'm not fearful, I just don't want to leave anyone behind. I am constantly told a lie that being around is going to protect my loved ones, and the reality is that it's not. One of my goals and reasons for being on this trip is to deepen the trust in God's provision and protection. He knows what He's doing. Always. It's difficult to flip on the news and listen to the latest bombing in the Middle East, or to stomach the reality of 143 million orphans in the world. But God is in control, and has never lost control. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose," Romans 8:28. I don't know how, but God does--and I'm trying to find peace in the not knowing.

"I the Lord do not change," Malachi 3:6. The same God that parted the Red Sea for Moses, allowed Joshua to crush Jericho, and fed 5,000 hungry mouths with two fish and some bread is the exact same God that is going to hear and respond to both our smallest and greatest prayers today.

4 comments:

Justin said...

Hey Pal!
Nothing good comes easy or without a fight...the fact that it's hard is proof that you're doing good and meaningful stuff. It sounds like you're already starting to be stretched, and thus able to 'deepen your trust in God's provision and protection.'

So excited for you!

Shawn Gerber said...

Sara,

Hey friend! So I'm sorry that I am just so terrible at staying in touch with people. I can't believe you are about to head out to Nigeria! Exciting!!! Admittedly I am going to miss working with you again this summer, but I know God has some great things in store for both of us, and I honestly cannot wait to see what unfolds. I hope you can keep updating your blog while you're down there because I would love to hear about it, but if not I guess I will just have to be a good friend and ask you about it later =) Keep your eyes on God, and remember that he can take our natural and make it supernatural if we let Him. There are no limitations. God bless!

cath said...

Praise God for what He has in store for you this summer. We are praying for you and are excited to hear all about it.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! I remember those same feelings when I came to Mexico!! You are going to be changed and grow so much and God is smiling at your decision to sacrifice for his sake. You are being a "lion chaser" ....I'm so proud of you and love you tons!!! Ruby