Saturday, July 4, 2009

free time

What we do in our free time...

  • HIKE!
We spend a lot of time hiking since we are surrounded by so much beauty wherever we go in Nigeria! Pictures below are from a day where we went to a high, flat point in the boulder climbing to do some worship and check out the giant new Back2Back property. First one is of Sarah Guckenberger and I, then an intern Amanda and I, and then Amanda, Tina, and I... sadly the two of them are returning home tomorrow );



  • SWIM!
We've actually only gone swimming all of two times during the last five weeks that we've been here. Because there's really not many pools and the cultural need for modesty, we're all pretty pale as opposed to what you think we would look like after living here. Well, our arms are nice and brown--but that's about it. Pictures below are from a day we spent at a very nice hotel we found in Jos. The first one is of the pool patio, then staff kids Sami Guckenberger and Noah Ramos, and then me with some Guckenbergers, Noah, and Amanda.





  • KILL CHICKENS!
It has been a long talked about aspiration here to kill and cook our own chickens for dinner. The kids had a lot of fun chasing them around the yard before the deed was done the other day. We ended up donating the chickens after the slaughter, but it was definitely a first. I'm really not as adventurous as it may seem... I watched long enough to take a "before" picture with the knife and the chicken, but then hid in my room until it was all over. I tell myself if I really needed to do it to provide, I would have done it.

No comments: