Thursday, January 24, 2008

BAM! questions

I had this master plan that i would come up with 926124891 scriptural questions and then post them all at once. So far, I only have three. Sorry :(

Genesis 11:6-7...

The Lord said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
Not that I claim to understand God's reasoning on things normally, but I really don't understand why the Tower of Babel incident was necessary. Did God realize that he made things too easy? Was there greater potential harm if everyone understood each other? I know that I want to use my life to better others' lives and when I read that passage, I have to admit, I feel frustrated at "nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them." That was a problem?


Acts 3:21
[Jesus] must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything as he promised long ago through his holy prophets.
I guess I don't really have a question here. False alarm. It just stuck out to me reading Acts this time through that God doesn't plan on scooping us all up and taking us into the clouds with Him. He plans on restoring everything. In Rev, John talks about the old heaven and old earth being destroyed and a new heaven and new earth being in its place. Rob Bell (everybody's favorite person) talked about how it just doesn't make sense that God wouldn't end up deleting everything that he called "good," but restoring it. I never really wondered what to think about heaven. Hmm...


Genesis 15:16
In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure.
What is that passage prophesying?


Thanks for reading my thoughts even if you can't help, I appreciate it. Lately, I've been pretty busy trying to meet various deadlines and establish closure on past relationships. I just don't think I can fully start a new chapter in my life until I feel at peace with everyone of my past.

Also, reading for school has taken up a larger portion of my life than expected. I tried to be cheap at first and buy one or two books... not happening. I unwillingly had to drop another $150 on a few more books for school today. The local library needs to grow... :)

1 comment:

Brett said...

Babel -
"Nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them." So what were they planning to do? Gen 1:28 and 9:1 God commands, "Fill the earth." Then at Babel, Gen 11:4, "let us make for ourselves a name, otherwise we will be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth."

So their plan was to directly disobey God's command to fill the earth and instead make their own civilization great and bask in the glory of man. God says that with one language they will be effective in accomplishing these goals, so he splits them up. Consider how the western world now is becoming more and more of one language and we are also becoming more and more humanistic; espousing the greatness of man and human intellect and leaving God behind.

New Heaven and New Earth -
Hate to say it, but Rob Bell's eschatology (study of end times) is whack. Rev. 19 depicts Jesus coming back to destroy evil and rule over this earth. Rev. 20 describes Jesus ruling on this earth for 1000 years while Satan is bound. Then Satan is let free one last time before being permanently sent to the lake of fire. Then Rev. 21 describes "a new heaven and a new earth; for the first earth passed away." But it's not just John, read Isaiah 65:17,66:22, and 2 Peter 3:10-13.

Abram's decendents -
If you back up a few verses, God is telling Abram that his descendants will be enslaved in Egypt for 400 years, which of course happened. Then they will return "here", which was the Promised Land; Israel. The Amorites were the people who lived there during that time and God is basically saying "they're not bad enough that I need to destroy them yet, but they will be then."