Friday, June 20, 2008

week 2 awe

this last week absolutely flew by. i was with a group from Grace Chapel in Ohio all week long and was able to make a lot of great friendships along the way. individuals from one of the other groups here have made a website for Rayitos de Luz and can be found here. they hope to get a website up and running about each of the Casa Hogars being served by Back2Back.

one of my favorite moments from this week happened a few days ago. i was sitting with one of the girls from my Grace Chapel group, Ashley, during dinner when I turned to her and said, "You know, I feel extremely spoiled here in the sense that I get to have worship every single night." and she said, "Yeah, actually last night was the first night that I have ever enjoyed worship." I go, "Really?!" and she said, "Yeah, I actually just accepted Christ into my life this morning. I've gone to church all of my life and have never really owned it on my own and I decided I want to follow Him for the rest of my life. You're actually the second person I've told." I was kinda shocked and was like, "Oh.. wow. That's awesome! You should tell more people!" I asked her if she was interested in being baptized here in Mexico and she and a few other girls that I've been getting to know wanted to read into baptism. So we talked about baptism with some 10 other people that were interested alongside their pastor Jeff Greer. The next morning a few girls and I went over some more verses and last night around midnight, Ashley and 4 others were baptized. It was awesome to be a part of walking her through her public declaration to follow Christ.

On a completely different note, I've been talking a little to Jeff Greer about serving in Nigeria next summer as he is kinda overseeing growth at Nigeria's Back2Back site. They have just purchased 250 acres over there for their site and are going to expand to another 250 more acres really soon. They have 5 interns over there this summer and only a few staff. I don't know exactly if that idea will grow into more than just an idea, but it's definitely a dream worth chasing as I feel like God's really moving in my heart for that country.

I haven't uploaded a lot of my pictures from this last week to my computer but here's a few worth sharing.

A little girl at the Cadareyta. The Cadareyta and the Rio are both impoverished communities that Back2Back ministers to and provides meals for as often as possible to provide aid to parents in hopes up preventing them from dropping their children off at a Casa Hogar.


some funny boys and I at the Cadareyta.


my Mauricio from Villa de Juarez (VdJ) who I would love to take back with me to the states. he thought he was funny for telling everyone his name is Abuelo (grandpa in Spanish).


While everyone was staring at the mountains one morning: "Yeah... these mountains every day, they kinda get old after awhile... just kidding, this never gets old." --Tim Couch, house parent at Back2Back.

1 comment:

Dan Price said...

Sara, I don't know if you know this or not, but Suzanne and I used to go to Grace Chapel and were on staff with B2B and we love the Greers. If they are still there, tell them hello for us!